Friday, April 18, 2008

Is it morning yet?

It's 11:10 pm. I have been in bed approximately one hour. There is a huge thunderstorm outside. I love the sights and sounds of a thunderstorm in the middle of the night. I'm laying in bed listening to the thunder and watching the lightening flash. When suddenly I hear, "Momma, I'm thirsty, get me some water." It is Story. My first thought is, "Get me some water...how about some manners." But my second thought is, "This is going to be a LONG night!"
I jump out of bed and get the water thinking maybe I can get it back to her quickly and she will get a quick drink and go back to sleep. Who am I kidding this is Story we are talking about. I get back with the water and guess what, Cadence is awake too. Joy! I start patting Cadence's back to get her back to sleep and I give Story the water. She gets a drink and then starts watching the storm. She says at the top of her lungs, "Those blinds are opening and closing and opening and closing." I was shocked she wasn't scared. By 12:00 Daddy is now awake asking what he can do to help. I tell him to take Cadence and I will try to draw piggies on Story's back to get her back to sleep. A couple of minutes go by and he says, "Cadence thinks it is morning." I don't know who I'm kidding, Story does too.
What do you do when it is 12:00 at night and you have two children wide awake? You get up. Story, Cadence and I get up. Lyric has a cooking playdate at 10:30 in the morning, so I head straight to the computer to cancel it. I am sitting at the computer typing that we aren't going to be able to make the playdate because Story and Cadence are up and I don't know how long we are going to be up. As I am typing I am thinking, 'If I know Story she will be asking for breakfast soon.' About ten seconds after this thought leaves my head Story says, "When were going to eat brakfast?" I simply respond, "In about seven hours."
I have two children awake at midnight things can't really get any worse, right? Here comes Daddy and Lyric walking down the hall, oh now the whole family is awake. Daddy asks the girls if they want a movie. They pick The Bearstein Bears.
I am still sitting in the office when I hear Story say, "Daddy, mama said we're gonna eat 'brakfast' in ten hours."
Daddy says, "Yea, mama's right. Do you need a snack?"
Of course she does this is Story you're talking about! "Daddy, I want some goldfish."
Daddy responds, "Isn't it a little late for goldfish?"
I'm still sitting in the office listening and I can almost hear his thoughts, 'You want goldfish? Who cares if you have goldfish? It's the middle of the night and I just want to be asleep!' Daddy is now sleeping and Story has her goldfish.
In the time it took me to write this the girls have gotten tired of The Bearnstein Bears and are now in the office cooking. It is 1:34 and I don't see bedtime anywhere in my future.

No comments: