Sunday, December 21, 2008

Present for Daddy

I had this idea for the girls to each paint a canvas for Daddy for Christmas. The little girls painted their canvases with their fingers using a couple of colors and the next day when it was dry we did their hand prints. Lyric painted hers with her fingers and was going to go back and use a brush the next day when it was dry. Instead she attempted to paint the whole family in her hand print.

It was hard for me to keep my mouth shut on this project! I knew the little ones really couldn't paint a "picture", so I wanted to do their hand prints. I pictured Lyric's canvas actually painted on with a "real" picture. She had other ideas. It was so hard for me to accept that it wasn't going to look how I wanted it to look and just let her be painting it her way. I made her really angry trying to change her vision, but soon apologized and told her it was her painting for Daddy and if I wanted to do one I should get my own canvas.

Sometimes it is so hard to not get involved and change what your kiddos are doing, but it is something I am working on because I do think it is important to let them do things the way they see it. Most of the time it is the process not the end product that matters. One thing that I have learned is to just not look and it is a lot easier to keep your mouth shut! When they are doing a craft project sometimes I will do one to, so I am close enough it the need help, but also not so involved that I "help" too much. It is a fine line I guess, but I am learning;-)

Posted by Picasa

No comments: