Monday, June 16, 2008

"Love" According to a 4 Year Old

We sat down for lunch today and Lyric informed me that she and Story were in a hurry because they were going to a wedding. Oh really, I decided to pick her brain a little...
Me--Oh, you're going to a wedding. Well, what does that mean? Why do people get married?
Lyric-- They're getting married because they fell in love.
Me (after picking my chin up off the floor)-- What does it mean to 'fall in love?'
Lyric (very matter of fact)-- Mama, you meet somebody and you think they are pretty, so you fall in love and get married.
Me-- Oh, do they have to be pretty? Is that the only reason you would fall in love with somebody?
Lyric-- Yes!
Me-- What if they are really pretty, but they aren't a very nice person, what if they are mean, would you still marry them?
Lyric-- Well, maybe if they dress real pretty then you could marry them.
Me-- What does it mean to get married? What happens after someone gets married?
Lyric-- Well, you fall in love, you get married, you buy a house and a car and that is how you have babies.
Me--... silent............ Oh.....
That was the end of our conversation, because I was so shocked! Where do they learn this stuff? Anyone who knows me knows she didn't get it from me! I have three hairs on my whole head and I never where makeup.
They get it from all that princess crap! That's it no more princesses around here! Our Cinderella, The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast DVDs are going to have to disappear! Anyone who shops for my girls NO MORE PRINCESSES! I have already lost the four year old to all of that Prince Charming crap, but the two young ones haven't been contaminated yet. There is still hope!

1 comment:

The Mom said...

You guys are a BEAUTIFUL couple, so the logic might make sense to her! You have sweet girls. Julia doesn't even watch the movies and is still infatuated with princesses - only she wants to be the servant who cleans in the castle - ie Cinderella!?