Monday, April 27, 2009

Cadence Shocks Us All

This morning I was sitting at the table and I saw Cadence walk into the bathroom by herself. My first reaction was to go and get her because I couldn't think of any reason the nineteen month old needed to be in the bathroom by herself. I decided to just listen to see what she might be doing. I heard here putting the potty seat on. She then started to yell, "Potty! Potty!"
Let me give a little background... when myself or one of the girls is going potty I always ask her if she needs to go potty. She either says no or sits on the potty and does nothing. I'm not one of those parents who try to make their little one go potty. I try to encourage her, but when she says no I don't push it.
So, today I was shocked when she went in alone to go potty. She has never done that before. I went in thinking okay: she will sit on the potty, we will sing Itsy Bitsy Spider, she will get a piece of toilet paper and put it in the potty and say she is done. I put her on the potty and sat on my stool in front of her. She started singing Itsy Bitsy Spider and wanted me to sing along. All of a sudden she was pooping! I was shocked! But she did it, she pooped in the potty.
After she was done, I offered her a pair of panties. She wore them for five minutes and asked for her 'biper'. She put the diaper on and wouldn't try to pee in the potty the rest of the day.
I guess Little Miss Independent will go when she's ready to:-)

No comments: