Friday, September 19, 2008

Our Week in Review

As you all have noticed, I have not blogged in over a week, so I decided to just do one post and to get you all caught up on what we did this week. I thought it would be an easy way to get caught up. NOT! It seems like it is taking me a week to finish this post!
Lyric had Spanish on Monday, as usual. Story told Ms. Minerva her vowels last week and got candy, so she wanted to do it again this week. I told her she wasn't going to be able to tell her vowels for candy every week;-) She just really didn't understand why.
Monday night we took Lyric to the park to practice with her bike. She actually rode by herself a little, but she would freak out if she realized she was doing it! We need some more practice.
Daddy did most of the chasing, but I helped out a little.
Bike riding is hard work! She needed lots of water! On Tuesday, we went to the library. It was our last Spanish story time for a while. Our library is closing for over a month to remodel! I know it is needed and it will be a good thing, but that is a long time to close! We are going to have to try one of the other nearby libraries.
I found a really cool calendar on the Universal Preschool site. It lists historic and important events that take place through the year. It is great because it lists helpful links and books to go along with the different events.
Did you know Tuesday was Rock Collecting Day? That's right it was. After the library the girls and I headed over to Champion Park to play in the sand and collect some rocks.
They of course had to climb the rock wall.
Lyric asked if this one would fit in our egg carton. Such the little jokester!
They each had to have a turn on the digger. Cadence didn't know what to think of the sand at first, but she eventually decided to play with it and taste it.
We filled our egg carton up with rocks. There weren't any really unusual ones at this park, but it was fun anyway.
On Wednesday, it was Lyric's turn to host Kids in the Kitchen for our play group. We decided to make Fudge in a Bag.
It was really easy and pretty tasty. Here is what you need:
2/3c. Powdered Sugar
1 T. Butter
1/2 oz. Cream Cheese
1 1/2 t. cocoa
Put all ingredients in a baggie and squish, squish, squish.
The kids had fun making it and eating it! I was only able to take a few pictures because I my hands were pretty fudgy!

That afternoon I went to take the trash out and came back to find Cadence in the hallway with her shirt half off. I asked the girls if they did it and they didn't know how it happened. I don't know what she was doing or why, but she wasn't too happy with the results!

I think she just wanted me to fix it, she wasn't too much on the picture taking!
On Wednesday night to complete our celebration of Rock Collecting Day we decided to paint our rocks. We took our painting supplies outside to the picnic table and I got Story all set up. I then had to go back in the house to get something... maybe Cadence... I don't know. While I was gone Lyric decided to get the red paint herself. Needless to say, we are about out of red paint now:-)
Lyric painted for a while, but then decided to take some pictures. Lyric used the glitter paint to put a design on her red rock. Does anyone know what to do with a bunch of painted rocks?
Cadence really, really wanted to paint. I had this great idea that I would get a bowl of water and let her paint with water. The bowl of water lasted about a second and a half before she dumped it out. Although, she did enjoy playing with the brush and bowl.
Did you know Thursday was National Play-Doh Day? Yep, it sure was. To celebrate the girls and I made homemade play doh. And not just any play doh... this was edible! Yum! The recipe was pretty easy:
2 c. Smooth Peanut Butter 2 c. Oatmeal 2 c. Dried Milk 2/3 c. Honey Mix all ingredients and store in an airtight container. It actually tasted pretty good, especially with the mini chocolate chips we used to decorate with! ]Lyric almost flung peanut butter in her eye trying to fill the cup it landed just below her right eye.Yes, Story made the edible play doh naked. Are you surprised?Lyric had to really squeeze Mr. Honey Bear! Cadence was not all excited about playing with her play doh! Story Bell posing with her pile,and Miss Lyric. Lyric made a monster.
I made a flower. I made a few other things, but they all had the mini chocolate chips in them, so I ate 'em.
Cadence made a mess.
Story decided to use cookie cutters and make a dog and a bone.
Lyric used the cookie cutters to make flowers with lots and lots of sprinkles for pollen.
On Thursday we decided to walk to the park. This time everyone rode in the wagon and I remembered to take water. The weather has been so nice lately! We played for a while and then headed back home.
There was a really sweet little boy named Owen who was at the park and he really tried to make friends with Lyric, but she wanted no part of it! I was so frustrated with her, she
just kept ignoring him. It may have something to do with the fact that he called her "Leo" for the first 10 minutes or so, but he eventually got "Lyric". I am sure the poor kid had never met a Lyric before, Leo is a much more common name. Yes, Miss Lyric insisted on taking her purse. I'm not real sure what she had so valuable in there.
She looks so old in this picture! We continued our celebration of National Play Doh Day on Friday by making regular play doh. I learned one thing about myself while we were doing this--I LOVE me some neon food coloring! It is so cute!
The recipe for our regular play doh:
2 c flour
1 1/2 c salt
6 T oil
3 t cream of tarter
3 c water
food coloring (I recommend neon!)
Mix ingredients in a pan and heat until it is the consistency of mashed potatoes. Let cool and knead.
(We added our food coloring while we were kneading, but you can do it while you are heating also.)
Story Bell worked really hard to make the flour "smooth". Our play doh turned out great, but I don't think this is a requirement.
Our cooked mashed potato consistency (well, lumpy mashed potatoes).
The end result. Aren't the colors pretty?

Well, that concludes our week. We were supposed to go with our play group to Berry Springs Park (our favorite) on Friday, but Cadence was pretty snotty, so we decided to keep our germs to ourself and hang out at home.

Next week, we are looking forward to celebrating: National Elephant Appreciation Day (22nd), Johnny Alppleseeds Birthday (24th) and National Chocolate Milk Day (27th). We will be sure to let you all know how it goes.

2 comments:

The Mom said...

Oh what fun!! I've never seen neon food coloring!? hmm... thanks for emailing me the calendar.

Anonymous said...

I would take those beautifully painted rocks, put them in a glass vase and arrange some silk flowers in it.

Love reading your blog :D