Wednesday, March 4, 2009

New Pets

So, the week before we moved we came over to the new house to get some measurements and just check it out one more time before we moved in. Lyric and I were walking around outside and I saw a snail. I picked it up and gave it to Lyric to look out. We commented on how cool it was and how we should read up on snails on the internet to see how hard they are to take care of. We brought it home and Daddy got on the internet to do a little "research". You have to remember my husband is the kind of man who screams like a girl when a bug is anywhere near him, but who will go out of his way to keep from harming anything. Like tonight there was a bee in the kitchen. He is terrified of bees, but when I attempted to kill it with the dishrag he was mortified, so I gently wrapped the bee in the dishrag and set it free outside.
Anyway, so he ended up spending like an hour on the internet reading about snails. He then became very obsessed with this snail we found. We needed to go to the pet store the next day and get an aquarium for it. We needed to get a cuddle bone, because they need calcium or they will eat their own shell. We had to get some spring water to spray the cage. We needed to get some vegetables, but they had to be organic because many pesticides are specific for snails. WHAT? Are you kidding me? So the next thing you know the girls and I are out buying all of this crap, I mean stuff for this freaking snail that we found on the ground!
We get the little guy all set up in his new home and of course the girls want to look at it and carry around the little cage because it is their new pet. Daddy can hardly stand to see the way they carry it around and mess the cage all up, by moving it around. He really worries about the snail that we found on the ground, that I could have easily stepped on!
Well, we had the one snail, Sheldon. Lyric picked his name out all by herself; isn't she cleaver! A couple of days into the move we found two more snails. Story named one Snaily and Daddy named the other Morton. We are now the owners of three snails who get sprayed with spring water and eat organic carrots.
Here is a close up of one of the little guys. I'm not sure which one it is.
Here is one of them having a snack:
They are actually really interesting to watch!
There is only one problem with having three snails... they poop a lot. So, Daddy got back on the internet and found out we should put some worms in the cage to eat the poop. The girls had a really good time picking out the two worms who were going to go in the cage. I think Lyric was the only one who would touch them.

She LOVED them. She would take them out and talk to them and play with them. One of them had to be released in the dirt because he was being mean to the other worms.

Cadence became a little obsessed with this little guy. He got himself stuck in the picnic table and she kept watching him saying, "Stuck, stuck!" He finally worked himself loose.

Story was just being Story. Having a good time as usual!

We put two in with the snails. I am not sure if they got names or not. I know at one point Lyric was calling one Longy and Story was calling one Shorty.

Too soon to tell if they are going to eat the poop. I will be sure to keep you updated!

1 comment:

DivorcedMom said...

This is the funniest thing I think I have ever heard. You guys are hysterical - and I'm glad you're related to us.